Zoom Class | Sheepy Steeky Coasters
Zoom Class | Sheepy Steeky Coasters
Is steeking on your knitting bucket list? Why would you knit something in the round to knit a flat object? How can you keep your knit fabric from falling apart after you cut it? So many questions, and we have the answers!
This class is a gentle introduction to crocheted steek reinforcement. You’ll knit the homework before class, and then we’ll reinforce, cut, and finish in class together. Previous crochet experience not required. Your finished object is a set of two super cute matching sheepy coasters.
This class is held virtually via Zoom, a popular video conferencing service. Participants should already have a basic familiarity with Zoom prior to class. Class will be held at the indicated date and time (Pacific Time) for 2 hours. 5 students minimum, 15 students maximum.
Skill Level / Prerequisites
Intermediate. You should be familiar with knitting basics like knit, purl, cast on, bind off, simple stranded colorwork, working in the round, and following a pattern.
How to reinforce and cut (steek) your knitting to turn a round piece into a flat one.
You will need to purchase or have ready for class:
- One light-colored and one dark-colored worsted-weight, NOT superwash, wool yarn: 50 grams/100 yards each. You want a nice fuzzy/sticky wool for a good first steek experience. We recommend Malabrigo Worsted (not pictured).
- Contrasting color fingering weight yarn for reinforcing the steek with crochet: 4 or so yards - scrap yarn is fine as this won't show on the finished coaster. If you need to purchase something, we recommend a ball of Jojoland Ballad.
- US 7/4.5mm circular needle, or size size to get a fabric you like
- Crochet hook, size E
- Sharp scissors for cutting your steek
- Stitch markers
- Yarn/darning/tapestry needle for finishing
You'll need to knit and block a piece prior to class. Instructions are in the class packet PDF. This should take most people around four hours.
What to Expect
- After you complete your purchase, on the order confirmation page you'll be prompted to download a class packet pdf containing more details about class, including:
- a Zoom link to join the class at the indicated date and time
- a homework assignment to complete before class
- a Ravelry code to download the Sheepy Steeky Coasters pattern for free from Ravelry.com
- In addition to the download button on the order confirmation screen, you'll also receive an email with this information. If you don't see it, please check your spam folder. If you still don't see it, drop us a line.
- You will want to print or download the packet onto a device that is separate from your Zoom device, so you can refer to it during class.
- Before class, be sure to work through your homework so you can participate fully and learn all the things!
- Finally, on the day/time of class, log in to Zoom using the link in your class packet pdf. The Zoom classroom will open 15 minutes before class starts. Sign on with plenty of time to make sure your internet, video, and audio settings are all working.
About Your Teacher
Michele Lee Bernstein, PDXKnitterati, loves designing accessories, especially if they use one or two skeins of very special yarn. She's fond of texture (brioche, lace, entrelac, elongated stitches) and using interesting techniques to make small objects sing. Her patterns are available through Ravelry.com and Payhip.com, and her new book is Brioche Knit Love is available right here at Twisted.
Michele loves teaching knitters to be the boss of their knitting and does so at local yarn shops in Oregon, fiber festivals including Vogue Knitting Live, and guild retreats. She taught at Twisted for many years before we went online only! Find her on Instagram, Facebook, Ravelry, and Twitter as PDXKnitterati. Her website is https://pdxknitterati.com/.
All photos © Michele Lee Bernstein
- We request that students already be comfortable using Zoom. Because every device is different, teachers are not able to provide much in the way of tech support.
- Your teacher, like so many of us, is working from home. There is always a possibility that technology or family or pets or neighbors or weather or who-knows-what could briefly interrupt your Zoom lesson. If that happens, know that we appreciate your patience and understanding!
- In the event of a prolonged disruption (e.g., alien invasion, meteor strike, power outage at the teacher's location - none of this has ever happened during a class) we will work together with the teacher and students to find an agreeable solution.
- If you need to cancel please let us know as soon as possible.
- Given at least 72 hours' (3 days) notice, we can refund the class fee less $5 for the class packet and knitting pattern PDF you will have already received. Refunds can be made to your original payment method or as store credit.
- If you provide less than 72 hours' notice or don't call into the appointment at all, we cannot provide a refund.
- If the teacher needs to cancel due to an emergency, we will contact you as soon as possible and provide a full refund to your original payment method.
We offer one tuition-free scholarship per group class. It's on the honor system; first-come-first-served. If you currently have the ability to pay without hardship, we ask that you save the scholarship for someone who wouldn't be able to attend otherwise.
Interested? All you have to do is select the Scholarship option from the Date dropdown menu above and complete checkout. The total will be $0, but you must fully check out and provide your contact information to reserve your spot in class.
Thanks to the designers, teachers, staff, and customers who contribute to our scholarship fund!