Zoom Class | Minerva Entrelac Scarf or Cowl
Zoom Class | Minerva Entrelac Scarf or Cowl
Minerva is an entrelac cowl or scarf, knit flat. Why knit a round cowl flat? To learn all the elements you need to know for any entrelac project, and to avoid a huge game of yarn chicken on a long scarf or loop cowl knit from the long edge!
Entrelac looks like it’s woven, but it’s just a lot of squares and triangles, knit one at a time. You’ll want to knit just one more square. Choose your length: short or long cowl, or long scarf.
This class is held virtually via Zoom, a popular video conferencing service. Participants should already have a basic familiarity with Zoom prior to class. Class will be held at the indicated date and time (Pacific Time) for 2 hours. 3 students min, 12 students max.
Intermediate. You should already know how to: knit/purl, and cast on/bind off.
Picking up stitches, p2tog and ssk decreases, entrelac, knitting back backwards.
You need to purchase or have:
- For Short Cowl (Long Cowl or Scarf): 200 (400) yards of DK, worsted, or Aran weight yarn with a slow color change or gradient.
- Photos show several yarns we don't carry:
- Pic 1 (with cuff): Huckleberry Knits DK Gradient, 4 oz/280 yards/ball, one ball.
- Pic 2 (pastels): Knit Picks Chroma Worsted, 100 grams/200 yard/ball, one ball.
- Pic 3: Noro Silk Garden, 50 grams/100 meters/ball, 2.3 balls.
- Yarn options we do carry or that are coming soon, and their caveats:
Schoppel Gradient. Worsted weight, 284 y / 100 g ball. Coming soon! This slightly felted wool single resists pilling and has a nice long, slow color repeat. You'll need one ball for a short cowl; two for a long cowl or scarf.
- Schoppel Zauberball Starke 6. DK weight, 437 y / 150 g ball. Coming soon! This barber pole gradient is a 2-ply dream. You'll need one ball for either a short cowl OR a long cowl or scarf.
- Freia Ombre Worsted. 127 yards / 75 gram cake. You'll need two balls for a short cowl, so your colors will repeat and you may have a color hiccup or longer stretch of the same color at the ball switch. It's also more expensive than the other option because it is hand-dyed.
- 24"/60 cm circular needle in a size that's appropriate for your yarn (whether it's DK, worsted, or Aran)
Your class fee includes:
- Ravelry download of the Minerva Entrelac Cowl pattern by Michele Lee Bernstein.
- NOTE: You need to print your pattern or download it onto a device that is separate from your Zoom device so you can refer to it during class.
What to Expect
- After you complete your purchase of this class, you'll be prompted to download a class packet pdf containing more details, including:
- a Zoom link to join the class at the indicated date and time
- a Ravelry code to download the Minerva Entrelac Cowl pattern
- a homework assignment to complete before class (also listed below)
- Before class, be sure to work through your homework so you can participate fully and learn all the things!
- Finally, on the day/time of class, log in to Zoom using the link in your class packet pdf. The classroom will be open 15 minutes before class starts. Sign on with plenty of time to make sure your internet, video, and audio settings are all working.
Cast on 24 sts using long tail cast on, purl 1 row. If you know you want a cowl, you could use a provisional cast on that can be unpicked later, but long tail can also work. This will take most people about 15 minutes.
About Your Teacher
Michele Lee Bernstein, PDXKnitterati, loves designing accessories, especially if they use one or two skeins of very special yarn. She's fond of texture (brioche, lace, entrelac, elongated stitches) and using interesting techniques to make small objects sing. Her patterns are available through Ravelry.com and Payhip.com. She loves teaching knitters to be the boss of their knitting and does so at local yarn shops in Oregon, fiber festivals including Vogue Knitting Live, and guild retreats. She taught at Twisted forever, before we went online only! Find her on Instagram, Facebook, Ravelry, and Twitter as PDXKnitterati. Her website is https://pdxknitterati.com/
- We request that students already be comfortable using Zoom. Because every device is different, teachers are not able to provide much in the way of tech support.
- Because teachers are planning their schedules around booked lessons, we need at least 72 hours (3 days) notice for cancellation. Given at least 72 hours' notice, we can refund you in the form of store credit. If you provide less than 72 hours' notice or don't call into your appointment at all, you will not be refunded.
- Your teacher, like so many of us, is working from home during this wild time. There is always a possibility that technology or kids or pets or neighbors or who-knows-what could briefly interrupt your Zoom lesson. If that happens, know we appreciate your patience and understanding!
Do you want to attend a Twisted class but live on a fixed income?
Thanks to the generosity of some of our designers, teachers, staff, and customers we have a small scholarship fund to offer free class tuition to friends who couldn't afford it otherwise. We can only offer one scholarship spot per group class; it's on the honor system; first-come-first-served. Interested? Send us an email with what class you're interested in.
Do you want to contribute to our scholarship fund?
If you'd like to make a donation, add the donation item your cart and checkout. You can also "pay" for this donation item by redeeming your Twisted loyalty points - see instructions in the donation product details.