Zoom Class | Log Cabin Knitting
Zoom Class | Log Cabin Knitting
Knitted log cabin squares take their inspiration from their quilted cousins. Once you know how to make them, you can take off in many directions! We’ll start with the simple garter stitch log cabin square, and then we’ll discuss the many ways you can use these squares, or alter them to make them your own.
This class is held virtually via Zoom, a popular video conferencing service. Participants should already have a basic familiarity with Zoom prior to class. Class will be held at the indicated date and time (Pacific Time) for 2 hours. 3 students min, 12 students max.
Advanced Beginner. You should already know how to: knit/purl and cast on/bind off. This is not a learn to knit class.
You need to purchase or have:
- Worsted weight yarn (leftovers are fine) in at least 3 colors, but 5 colors would maximize your possibilities. Malabrigo Rios and Berroco Vintage Worsted are both great options.
- Needles appropriate for your yarn and tension, probably US 7 or 8
Your class fee includes:
- A handout containing notes, tips, and a basic log cabin pattern. You will need to print your pattern or download it onto a device that is separate from your Zoom device so you can refer to it during class.
- A coupon for 20% off Michele's Snowy Woods Log Cabin Blocks pattern and/or Log Cabin Baby Blanket pattern on Ravelry. These patterns are fun next steps to apply what you'll learn in class.
What to Expect
- After you complete your purchase of this class, you'll be prompted to download a class packet pdf containing more details, including:
- a Zoom link to join the class at the indicated date and time
- class handout
- In addition to the download button on the order confirmation screen, you'll also receive an email with this pdf. If you don't see it, please check your spam folder. If you still don't see it, just drop us a line.
- You will need to print or download the handout onto a device that is separate from your Zoom device so you can refer to it during class.
- Finally, on the day/time of class, log in to Zoom using the link in your class packet pdf. The classroom will be open 15 minutes before class starts. Sign on with plenty of time to make sure your internet, video, and audio settings are all working.
About Your Teacher
Michele Lee Bernstein, PDXKnitterati, loves designing accessories, especially if they use one or two skeins of very special yarn. She's fond of texture (brioche, lace, entrelac, elongated stitches) and using interesting techniques to make small objects sing. Her patterns are available through Ravelry.com and Payhip.com. She loves teaching knitters to be the boss of their knitting and does so at local yarn shops in Oregon, fiber festivals including Vogue Knitting Live, and guild retreats. She taught at Twisted forever, before we went online only! Find her on Instagram, Facebook, Ravelry, and Twitter as PDXKnitterati. Her website is https://pdxknitterati.com/
- We request that students already be comfortable using Zoom. Because every device is different, teachers are not able to provide much in the way of tech support.
- Because teachers are planning their schedules around booked lessons, we need at least 72 hours (3 days) notice for cancellation. Given at least 72 hours' notice, we can refund you in the form of store credit. If you provide less than 72 hours' notice or don't call into your appointment at all, you will not be refunded.
- Your teacher, like so many of us, is working from home during this wild time. There is always a possibility that technology or kids or pets or neighbors or who-knows-what could briefly interrupt your Zoom lesson. If that happens, know we appreciate your patience and understanding!
Do you want to attend a Twisted class but live on a fixed income?
Thanks to the generosity of some of our designers, teachers, staff, and customers we have a small scholarship fund to offer free class tuition to friends who couldn't afford it otherwise. We can only offer one scholarship spot per group class; it's on the honor system; first-come-first-served. Interested? Send us an email with what class you're interested in.
Do you want to contribute to our scholarship fund?
If you'd like to make a donation, add the donation item your cart and checkout. You can also "pay" for this donation item by redeeming your Twisted loyalty points - see instructions in the donation product details.