Zoom Class | Syncopation: 2-Color Syncopated Brioche | Saturday, October 3, 2020 10:30am-12:30pm PT - from Michele Lee Bernstein
Brioche knitting is the current “it knit” and there are so many ways to play with it, once you understand the basic Brioche Rib stitch. In this online class held via Zoom, we’ll practice syncopating on your homework swatch (swapping dominant color with background color), and learn an increase and 2 decreases. Voilà, it’s a gauge swatch, and now we cast on for the real deal!
This class is held virtually via Zoom, a popular video conferencing service. Participants should already have a basic familiarity with Zoom prior to class. Class will be held on Saturday, October 3, 2020 10:30am-12:30pm Pacific Time (2 hours). 3 students min, 12 students max.
After you complete your purchase of this class, you'll be prompted to download a class packet pdf containing more details, including:
- a Zoom link to join the class at the indicated date and time
- a homework assignment to complete before class
- the Syncopation shawl/scarf pattern by Michele Lee Bernstein, as well as a special url to download it at no additional charge from Ravelry so it is stored in your Ravelry library if you wish
In addition to the download button on the order confirmation screen, you'll also receive an email with this information. If you don't see it, please check your spam folder.
Intermediate. You should already be familiar with knitting 2 color brioche rib; this is not a beginning brioche class. Michele's class Petite Brioche is a great introduction to brioche knitting that we recommend taking first if you haven't done brioche before.
You need to purchase or have:
- two contrasting colors fingering weight yarn, 100g or 4 oz each
- a 24 inch US 3 circular needle (you may need to go up to US 4 if your yarn is a heavier fingering weight)
- One stitch marker to mark syncopation point
Your class fee includes:
- The Syncopation pattern is included in your class packet. You need to print it or download it on a device that is separate from your Zoom device, so you can refer to it during class.
The homework assignment (below, and included in your class packet pdf) will take most people less than one hour to knit. You must have this homework swatch completed beforehand in order to fully participate and learn during class.
With LC, cast on 17 sts.
Setup Row (LC): *K1, sl1yo, rep from * to last st, k1. Slide back to beginning of row.
Setup Row (DC): Sl1, add new yarn from back to front, *BRP, sl1yo; rep from * to last 2 sts, BRP, Sl1 wyib. Turn.
Row 1 (LC): P1; *sl1yo, BRP; rep from * to last 2 sts, sl1yo, P1. Slide back to beginning of row.
Row 1 (DC): Sl1 wyif; *BRK, sl1yo; rep from * to last 2 sts, BRK, sl1 wyif. Turn.
Row 2 (LC): K1; *sl1yo, BRK; rep from * to last 2 sts, sl1yo, k1. Slide back to beginning of row.
Row 2 (DC): Sl1 wyib; *BRP, sl1yo; rep from * to last 2 sts, BRP, sl1 wyib. Turn.
Repeat these 2 rows (4 half rows) twice more, or until you’re comfortable. End with Row 2 DC.
About Your Teacher
Michele Lee Bernstein, PDXKnitterati, loves designing accessories, especially if they use one or two skeins of very special yarn. She's fond of texture (brioche, lace, entrelac, elongated stitches) and using interesting techniques to make small objects sing. Her patterns are available through Ravelry.com and Payhip.com. She loves teaching knitters to be the boss of their knitting and does so at local yarn shops in Oregon, fiber festivals including Vogue Knitting Live, and guild retreats. She taught at Twisted forever, before we went online only! Find her on Instagram, Facebook, Ravelry, and Twitter as PDXKnitterati. Her website is https://pdxknitterati.com/
- We request that students already be comfortable using Zoom. Because every device is different, teachers are not able to provide much in the way of tech support.
- Because teachers are planning their schedules around booked lessons, we need at least 72 hours (3 days) notice for cancellation. Given at least 72 hours' notice, we can refund you in the form of store credit. If you provide less than 72 hours' notice or don't call into your appointment at all, you will not be refunded.
- Your teacher, like so many of us, is working from home during this wild time. There is always a possibility that technology or kids or pets or neighbors or who-knows-what could briefly interrupt your Zoom lesson. If that happens, know we appreciate your patience and understanding!
Do you want to attend a Twisted class but live on a fixed income?
Thanks to the generosity of some of our designers, teachers, staff, and customers we have a small scholarship fund to offer free class tuition to friends who couldn't afford it otherwise. We can only offer one scholarship spot per group class; it's on the honor system; first-come-first-served. Interested? Send us an email with what class you're interested in.
Do you want to contribute to our scholarship fund?
If you'd like to make a donation, add the donation item your cart and checkout. You can also "pay" for this donation item by redeeming your Twisted loyalty points - see instructions in the donation product details.