Twisted Classes Mosaic Knitting Workshop - Tincture Hat: Saturday, December 21 from 1:30-3:30pm
Create beautiful, colorful patterns using slipped stitches! This class will teach you how to tackle 2-color mosaic knitting in the round by guiding you step-by-step through the fun and satisfying Tincture hat by Andrea Mowry.
All classes are intended for adults (roughly high school and up) unless otherwise noted. Please read our class policies and cancellation information before registering and contact us if you have any questions!
Basic knitting knowledge required. Long tail or knitted cast on, knit and purl stitches, common increases and decreases, reading a pattern and charts, binding off.
2-color mosaic knitting techniques and strategies for both flat and in the round, reading instructions for mosaic knitting, and reading mosaic knitting charts.
Cast on and knit the brim of your hat as described in the pattern before coming to class. If you are not comfortable using the Twisted German Cast-On called for in the pattern, long tail cast on is fine for this hat. The homework is essential for this one-session class. If you do not complete the homework, you will be able to observe other students and participate in the discussion, but may not have time to actually practice mosaic knitting in class.
Either bring your own or before/during class get 20% off your purchase of the following. In-store purchases of class materials will receive a discount at the time of purchase; online purchases will receive store credit for the amount of the discount.
- Yarn: 2 colors of DK weight yarn, 100 yards in main color & 90 yards in contrast color. We love this hat in Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (pictured) and have assembled a few color suggestions as Tincture Hat kits. Also bring two colors of scrap yarn and needles that match to practice swatching mosaic flat.
- Needles:You will need 3 sets of needles:
- For the main fabric, 16”/40 cm circulars in size US 7/4.5 mm - or size YOU need to get a gauge of 23 sts = 4”
- For the crown decreases, DPNs in that same size
- For the brim, 16”/40 cm circulars in size US 5/3.75 mm - or two sizes smaller than the needles you need for the main fabric above.
- Notions: Locking stitch markers.
- Pattern: Before class, please purchase a copy of the Tincture pattern by Andrea Mowry. It is available electronically and print-on-demand at Twisted. It is also available electronically directly from Ravelry.com, however Twisted's class discount does not apply to materials not purchased at Twisted.
Photo © Andrea Mowry