The Moon & Other Satellites Kits - from Twisted
Grab and get to knitting with this kit of Twisted's 2019 Rose City Yarn Crawl featured knit pattern - The Moon & Other Satellites designed by Larissa Brown.
With its stunning reservoirs, wooded paths, and lofty views, Mt. Tabor has long been a source of peace, inspiration, mystery and raw beauty to Portlanders. This design is inspired by watery reflections of the moon, stars and other lights that pass over in the night. Its expanding rings are like ripples in otherwise still water. Instructions are for a large, 4-color shawl, with suggestions for adapting a smaller 2-color variation.
image © Rose City Yarn Crawl
- 1 full-color, double-sided, printed copy the Moon & Other Satellites knitting pattern by Larissa Brown
- Ravelry download of the pattern sent to the email address used at checkout
- Yarn: 2 or 4 skeins in your choice of yarn - Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock Lightweight, Featherlight, or Super Sparkle
- Packaging: Twisted logo drawstring cotton project bag
YOU WILL ALSO NEED
knitting needles - 32" or longer circular in size US #4/3.5 mm - US #5/3.75 mm or as needed to get gauge
- darning needle
- 11 stitch markers
- optional: blocking supplies
The large shawl uses 4 skeins; the small version uses 2. The finished measurements of either will depend on your gauge, which will, in turn, depend on the yarn you use and personal fabric preference.
The large shawl as shown in 4 colors of light fingering weight yarn measures approx: wingspan 58”/147 cm, back depth 27”/68.5 cm.
The smaller 2-color variation measures approx: wingspan 48”/122 cm, back depth 20”/50 cm depending on gauge.
All yarn options are fingering weight, though STR-L is a heavy fingering weight yarn, Super Sparkle is more average, and Featherlight is a lighter fingering weight yarn. Depending on yarn and personal preference, gauge will range from 20 - 24 sts = 4”/10 cm in Stockinette Stitch, blocked. Gauge is not critical to this pattern but will affect the finished size and yarn usage. Remember that superwash yarns may grow dramatically when blocked.
There are 3 color options for this kit. Each option is designed to highlight the special colorways dyed exclusively for Twisted by Blue Moon Fiber Arts to celebrate the 2019 Rose City Yarn Crawl. The kit colors are also inspired by our chosen parks for this year's RCYC theme "A Walk in the Park" - Mt. Tabor for the knitting pattern and Laurelhurst for the crochet pattern. Mt. Tabor is best known for three things - its iconic lampposts (which inspired the color Shed A Little Light), its classic shady blue reservoirs (which inspired one of the kits below), and for being an extinct volcano right in the heart of a major city (which also inspired one of our kits).
- RCYC (shown in pattern)
- Large - 4 Colors: A) Shed a Little Light, B) Red Dawn, C) Everyday Grey, D) Deep Unrelenting Grey
- Small - 2 Colors: A) Shed a Little Light, B) Red Dawn
- Large - 4 Colors: A) Shed a Little Light, B) Smoke on the Water, C) Phaedra, D) Easy Breezy Beautiful
- Small - 2 Colors: A) Shed a Little Light, B) Easy Breezy Beautiful
- Large - 4 Colors: A) Red Dawn, B) Shadow, C) Copperline, D) Blood Moon
- Small - 2 Colors: A) Red Dawn, B) Blood Moon
The Moon & Other Satellite pattern is also available separately on Ravelry for $6.
Please note that like all Blue Moon Fiber Arts yarn, this is dyed by hand and will vary from skein to skein and batch to batch. Your skein will differ from the one pictured. Please buy enough for your entire project all at once. To achieve the most even-possible color distribution, consider alternating skeins while working your project.