Zoom Class | Petite Brioche: 2-Color Brioche in the Round - from Michele Lee Bernstein
Brioche knitting is the current “it knit” and you can do it, too! Brioche knitting is easier in the round than flat, and even easier with two colors rather than one. We’ll learn basic brioche rib while knitting a simple headband. We’ll also learn how to fix common mistakes in brioche knitting.
This class is held virtually via Zoom, a popular video conferencing service. Participants should already have a basic familiarity with Zoom prior to class. Available class dates and times will show above until sold out. Class will last 2 hours. 3 students min, 12 students max.
After you complete your purchase, you'll be prompted to download a class packet pdf containing more details about class, including:
- a Zoom link to join the class at the indicated date and time
- a homework assignment to complete before class
- the free Petite Brioche pattern by Michele Lee Bernstein
In addition to the download button on the order confirmation screen, you'll also receive an email with this information. If you don't see it, please check your spam folder. If you have any trouble downloading the file, just email us and we can email it to you instead.
Intermediate. No experience with brioche necessary; this is an introduction to brioche class. Want to build on the brioche skills you learn in this class? Michele's Syncopation Shawl class is a great follow up!
You will need to purchase or have ready for class:
- 50 yards DC (dark color) AND 40 yards LC (light color) heavy worsted weight yarn. Michele recommends Malabrigo Worsted and uses that for her samples.
- 16" US 6 (4.25 mm) circular needle (no magic loop or dpns for first-time brioche, please)
- One stitch marker for the beginning of the round.
- The free Petite Brioche pattern is included in your class packet. You need to print it or download it on a device that is separate from your Zoom device, so you can refer to it during class. The pattern is also available here: https://pdxknitterati.com/patterns/petite-brioche.
The homework assignment (below, and included in your class packet) will take most people less than 30 minutes to knit. You must have this homework swatch completed beforehand in order to fully participate and learn during class.
With DC, loosely cast on 72 sts using long-tail cast on. Join to work in the round, then knit 1 round. Bring yarn to the front and leave it hanging there. To cast on loosely, leave space between stitches as you place new stitches on the needle. Alternatively, you could use a needle 2 sizes larger than your working needle.
About Your Teacher
Michele Lee Bernstein, PDXKnitterati, loves designing accessories, especially if they use one or two skeins of very special yarn. She's fond of texture (brioche, lace, entrelac, elongated stitches) and using interesting techniques to make small objects sing. Her patterns are available through Ravelry.com and Payhip.com. She loves teaching knitters to be the boss of their knitting and does so at local yarn shops in Oregon, fiber festivals including Vogue Knitting Live, and guild retreats. She taught at Twisted forever, before we went online only! Find her on Instagram, Facebook, Ravelry, and Twitter as PDXKnitterati. Her website is https://pdxknitterati.com/
- We request that students already be comfortable using Zoom. Because every device is different, teachers are not able to provide much in the way of tech support.
- Because teachers are planning their schedules around booked lessons, we need at least 72 hours (3 days) notice for cancellation. Given at least 72 hours' notice, we can refund you in the form of store credit. If you provide less than 72 hours' notice or don't call into your appointment at all, you will not be refunded.
- Your teacher, like so many of us, is working from home during this wild time. There is always a possibility that technology or kids or pets or neighbors or who-knows-what could briefly interrupt your Zoom lesson. If that happens, know we appreciate your patience and understanding!
Do you want to attend a Twisted class but live on a fixed income?
Thanks to the generosity of some of our designers, teachers, staff, and customers we have a small scholarship fund to offer free class tuition to friends who couldn't afford it otherwise. We can only offer one scholarship spot per group class; it's on the honor system; first-come-first-served. Interested? Send us an email with what class you're interested in.
Do you want to contribute to our scholarship fund?
If you'd like to make a donation, add the donation item your cart and checkout. You can also "pay" for this donation item by redeeming your Twisted loyalty points - see instructions in the donation product details.