There are few things more frustrating than seeing knitwear you love start to show wear and pill. Luckily there are some easy things you can do to help prevent and fix this nemesis of every knitwear fanatic.
First, the hard truth is that all handmade knit or crochet things will pill over time. It's a natural part of the washing and wearing process as the fibers break, tangle, and mat together. Some fibers and plies are more prone to pilling more quickly, though - as a general rule singles and very soft fibers like merino will pill most readily. Gentle handwashing with cool water and a no rinse soap like Eucalan or Soak followed by laying the item flat to dry will go a long way towards extending the life of your project. But, sigh, at some point a good de-pilling is likely to be needed.
As we all know, there are many products on the market to help but, we gotta be honest, the Gleener Ultimate Fuzz Remover is our favorite. Let us count the ways we love this product...
- Two heads are better than one! One side is a lint remover and the other a de-fuzzing blade. More bang for your buck.
- Lint begone. It's one of the better lint removers we've tried.
- Three de-fuzzing edges. Each Gleener tool comes with three interchangeable de-fuzzing blades that are easily swappable depending on the type of fabric you want to restore. No longer do you have to fear shredding finer fibers like cashmere, nor do you have to struggle to rehab heavier, thicker yarns.
- Speaking of which, replacement heads are available! Yup, when you dull an edge, you don't have to throw the whole thing out. Genius.
- The ergonomic handle just plain fits nicely in your hand. Seriously, the sweater stones work just fine and all, but they aren't nearly as comfortable to use. And if you've got a whole sweater to comb, that matters.
- NO BATTERIES!!!! It'll always work because there's nothing to go dead or run out or turn on. Sometimes analog is just better.
There really isn't a downside here. True confessions: Twistedista Dawn bought one for her husband... then basically took it over for her own. Once you start Gleener-ing you just can't stop!